This is a process where volunteer pupils try to resolve interpersonal problems of other pupils within the school community in a climate of neutrality and confidence.
The aim of this process is:
- to lead discussions towards a win-win resolution for both sides in order to avoid further escalation;
- to help pupils modify and improve their handling of conflict situations in a non-violent manner. In this way, their own self-esteem will improve as will their listening skills and ability to handle difficult situations;
- to improve the overall school climate and to reduce disciplinary actions and disputes within school.
Mediators and Coaches:
The Peer Mediation project is operational since September 2010. The Peer Mediation Committee - composed by peer mediators - leads a group of about 30 students of year 4, 5 and 6 who followed a solid training program for 3 weekends organized by the Luxembourgish government. All the mediators received a mediator’s diploma. The students are supported by 2 trained coaches: Ms. Raymakers and Ms. Verlinden (educational advisors).
From left to right: Eseme, Janina, Taaniel, Elžbieta, Mrs. Verlinden & Mrs. Raymakers
Two peer mediators will be present in the peer mediation room D102 every TUESDAY and THURSDAY during the short break from 11h10 to 11h25 to inform you, to talk with you or to answer your questions.
How to Contact 'Peer Mediation'?
Students who want more information about peer mediation or who need a mediation can:
- contact the educational advisor of their year
- go to the mediators during the permanency
- contact Mrs. Raymakers or Mrs. Verlinden personally or by email (educational advisors and coaches)
- fill in the document ‘Demand for Peer Mediation’ and hand it in to their educational advisor, to a mediator or to a coach.